Do you know what Austria’s national sport is? Damn right, it’s skiing and it would be a pity to do an exchange in our beautiful country withoutat least having tried to balance yourself on two wooden sticks (or one if you’re on the dark side with the cookies a.k.a. a snowboarder). This is why ESN Austria created the ESN A.L.P.S. - Action - Leisure - Party - Ski for you! However, for us Austrians spending a day on the snowy slopes is only part of the skiing experience!
When the ski lifts close around 4pm, Austrians often passionately engage in something called Aprés Ski – something you surely wouldn’t want to miss out on! From 29.11. - 1.12. exchange students from all over Austria will gather in Mölltal, a true glacier with skiing slopes,to spend an incredible weekend full of skiing, party and fun! Let us show you how we ski!
How ESN did skiing in past years might give you an impression of the upcoming event. Enjoying the Alps on your skis will be great! How about doing some Austrian language training with the Austrian singer-songwriter Wolfgang Ambros until the event takes place? Not convinced yet? Check out some pictures here and here from previous ski events!
Don't miss out on that amazing opportunity & join ESN A.L.P.S. - the peak of your exchange semester!
INCLUDED IN THE BASIC PACKAGE
- Transportation to Flattach/Mölltal and back to Graz
- Accommodation for 2 nights
- Breakfast and dinner
- Ski pass for 2 days (Saturday & Sunday)
- Rental fee for a helmet (mandatory!)
- Evening programme Friday (torch hike & gaming evening)
- Evening programme on Saturday (party & gaming evening)
There are also some optional offers for ski/snowboard rental (including boots) and instructed lessons (check the 'costs' section for price details).
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED?
- Ski/Snowboard clothes (wear, glasses/goggles*, gloves)
- Drinks in bars/clubs
*) without covering your eyes you will risk snow blindness! Be careful and absolutely get an eye protect for this trip!
- bus ride from Graz to the hotel/Flattach in Mölltal
- Check-in & getting your ski/snowboard equipment
- evening programme
- exploring the local nightlife
- Finally time to ski/snowboard the whole day
- evening programme
- Afterwards: Club night
- skiing/snowboarding again
- trip back to Graz
- without ESNcard: 207 € + 23 € deposit --> 230 €
- with ESNcard: 182 € + 23 € deposit --> 205 €
You will get 20 € of the deposit in the end of the trip by us, if everything went well in the hotel and in the bus. The remaining 3 € of the deposit refund you have to retrieve by your own (by giving back the ski pass in the end of the last ski day directly at the ski region).
OPTIONAL PACKAGES & PRICES
- ski/snowboard rental (+ 30 € for ski equipment/ + 35 € for snowboard equipment)*
- ski/snowboard lessons (+ 15 € for 1 day/ + 25 € for 2 days)
- participants who have their own helmet with them (will be checked on site), will get back 4 € at the first day
- ski pass holders (e.g. Topskipass, Super Ski Card) will pay less (- 47 €)
*) this is already and once again cheaper than the group price!
...starts on Wednesday, 6th of November 2019 during our office hour
- FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED (you will be assigned a number for sign-up, when the office hour starts)
- You can pay only in cash. Bring the full amount! (depending on your optional choices)
- You cannot sell your seat for the A.L.P.S. event to another person. The place will be given to the next person on the waiting list if you do or try to do that.
- If you are on the waiting list and a spot clears you will be notified via email.
- If you don't get a spot for the A.L.P.S. event, we will offer a limited amount of reservedspots for the upcoming Ski Day in January.
Thank you for your cooperation!
DO I NEED TO SIGN UP PERSONALLY?
No, you can send someone to sign you up for the event. But there is only ONE sign-up per person, so be aware that this person then cannot sign up themselves.
Make sure that you give ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION to this person (see data needed for the sign-up in the 'FAQ' section), as well as the number of your ESNcard (or a photo of it), email address, phone number - and the person has to pay the full amount for you!
HOW WILL THE SIGN-UP TAKE PLACE?
We expect as every year, a lot of people for the sign-up and therefore we reserved a waiting room. Please wait in this room until our staff calls you and gives you further instructions.
PLEASE BE QUIET - exams are going on right same time at TU Graz during that afternoon and evening!
Due to safety and allowed noise level please don't wait in front of the waiting room/lecture hall or in front of our office!
We call on you to respect the situation and this regulations and to keep silence, otherwise we are forced to cancel the sign-up that day!
There is also our usual business like in ESN office hours going on the same time - so, it's possible to use the office hour like any other getting our services, but be sure that you first got a number for the ski event's waiting queue.
WHAT INFORMATION DO I NEED TO KNOW FOR SIGNING UP?
We will (need to) ask you a lot of questions, so it's best for you and us to be prepared for that! Here are the questions needed to organise everything in a proper way:
- optional offers (ski or snowboard equipment rental and/or lessons for 1 or 2 days? holder of any ski pass?)
- Make sure that you know your shoe size (European size), your height (in cm) and your weight (in kg), if you want to rent equipment!
- skiing/snowboarding level (for renting as well as instructed lessons - never skied/snowboarded before, beginner, intermediate, good, expert)
- passport number
- phone number
- T-shirt size
- food restrictions (no pork, no beef, lactose free, gluten free, vegetarian, vegan, other..)
- contact for case of emergency (full name and phone number)
Friday, 29th of November 2019, 9:30 am
Franz-Graf Allee (next to the Opera Graz)
HOW MANY SPOTS ARE AVAILABLE?
Of course, we have a limited contingent, but that depends on ESN Austria and the number of participants from other Austrian sections. We might get some additional spots in the near future and will notify you, if you are on the waiting list.
Additionally, we, ESN Graz, will offer you the opportunity to reserve a spot for the Ski Day in January, if you don't get a spot for A.L.P.S., but also those spots are not unlimited.
DO I HAVE TO PAY THE FULL PRICE, IF I HAVE A VALID SKI PASS FOR THAT SKI REGION?
No, you will get a reduced basic price (check the 'costs' section for details how much less).
I ALREADY HAVE A SKI/SNOWBOARD HELMET, BUT ESN GRAZ INCLUDES THAT INTO THE BASIC PACKAGE!
Don't worry! A helmet is mandatory and included in the basic event price, because we want to make the payment during office hours as easy as possible! If you bring your own helmet to the event, you will get a refund (please check the 'costs' section).
WHICH EQUIPMENT DO I NEED?
- You can bring your own ski/snowboard equipment or rent it for 2 days (check the costs section for price information).
- Please bring appropriate warm clothing for skiing/snowboarding!
- Please bring appropriate non-slipping shoes for the torch hike.
- Please bring an ID card (passport, etc.)!
- Please bring glasses/goggles (you need to protect your eyes up in the mountains)!
Useful things are also:
- sun cream / sunglasses
- clothes for 3 days (note that it is always chillier in the mountains!)
- warm jacket (again, mountains)
- comfy clothes for the hut / (slippers)
- water bottle and snacks
- some money
- confirmation of payment (you will get that during signing up process from us)
I DO NOT HAVE CLOTHES FOR SKIING! WHERE COULD I GET SOME?
You might not buy some just for that event, but beware - normal street clothes are not possible (and you would not be happy with it anyway). Maybe you know someone to borrow you appropriate clothing for skiing or you could rent it already in Graz? Some sport shops do offer that, but ESN Graz does not have a cooperation.
NOTE - The ski/snowboard rental at the event does NOT rent such skiing/snowboarding clothes and/or glasses/goggles!
SKI/SNOWBOARD INSTRUCTION FOR EACH LEVEL?
Yes, we will ask you during registration process, how good are you, or which kind of lessons you would like to have (like it's told in section 'registration').
If you never skied or snowboarded before it's strongly recommended to take an instructor and to take ski lessons instead of snowboard lessons!
I'M SO EXCITED! COULD YOU GIVE ME MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE SKI REGION?
Take a look at the map of the ski region here! You can interactively switch on the slopes.
(blue slopes are for beginners, red slopes for advanced and black ones for experts only)
There is also a Ski Day in January!
Please note: When you take part in one of our events, you do so at your own risk and your own responsibility! We do not take any responsibility! Make sure that you have appropriate insurance!