Every semester we organize the Buddy program, following our motto “students helping students”. We are excited to announce that, just like every semester, we are looking for motivated Buddys/Mentors, who would like to help our incoming exchange students from Europe and across the pond (also called “Incomings”) in getting used to their new environment.
You, as a Mentor/Buddy, can help the Incomings by:
- Establishing contact to the exchange students per E-mail, before their arrival in Graz
- getting the keys to their new home (dorm)
- picking them up at the central train station or airport and taking them to their new home
- Showing them around on campus
- Being their go-to person for administrative tasks concerning university, city registration office, visa and everyday matters
- providing them with information on important events such as the “Welcome Week” organized by the Office of International Relations
- introducing them to our Austrian culture, cuisine and hospitality
- including them in your leisure time activities (cinema, cafés, sports, going out, etc. …)
- meeting at the weekly ESN International Regular’s Table
- Attending events organized by ESN (e.g. excursions and parties)
- Usually one Mentor is assigned 2-3 Incomings. If you want to take on only one Buddy, please let us know via the comment box on the sign-up form.
You will find more detailed information (important addresses, etc.) in our information leaflet on the bottom of this page.
What you get out of it:
- you will get to know interesting people from all over the world (culture exchange) and are able to improve your language skills in a fun way
- You will be able to gain important skills needed for organizing an exchange semester
- You will get to go on fun excursions, see beautiful places and genuinely enjoy yourself
- You will have the opportunity to establish long lasting international friendships
- You will be able to attend extra training specifically tailored to Mentors by the Office of International Relations
- You will receive the official Mentor Program Certificate after submitting a short feedback (adds an additional qualification to your CV)
Sign Up for the summer term 2019:
The Sign Up for the summer term 2019 starts on 1st of November and ends on 11th of January 2019!
The sign up consists of three steps: First, fill out our online sign-up form. Second, visit one of our two info meetings (if need be, we will organize a third info meeting) in order for us to get to know you and give you important information! After that, in the third step, you will get the information about our incomings student(s) from us!
The next info meetings will take place on:
DATE A: 28.11.2018, 6:30PM
LOCATION: HS 15.14 (Resowi (E/EG)
DATE B: 13.12.2018, 6:30PM
LOCATION: HS 15.14 (Resowi (E/EG)
Should you for any reason not be able to come to one of the info meetings, please let us know by sending us an E-Mail.
You will then be assigned 1-3 exchange students as soon as the sign-up period has ended. You will also receive an E-Mail containing all necessary data such as Name, E-Mail, Place of Origin, expected arrival date in Graz, etc.
These will then be your new Buddies, take care of them! Please contact them as soon as possible!
...one more thing
WICHTIG: Toll wäre, wenn du schon vor Semesterbeginn (Ende Jänner/Anfang Februar) in Graz wärst und Zeit hättest (denn da kommen schon viele Austauschstudierende an und benötigen Hilfe).
ATTENTION: Please be in Graz before the beginning of the semester (End of January/Beginning of February). That is when most of the exchange students arrive in Graz and need help in completing important administrative tasks. Please calculate some time to help them in doing so!
We ask for your understanding if the Buddies assigned to you are not of the nationality you expected/hoped for. We are genuinely trying to take your wishes into account. However, as there are many exchange students and many Mentors each semester it is almost impossible for us to satisfy every single one of you. Be assured that the Mentor Program has a lot of benefits other than language exchange.